Country Manager @ Discovered, Kenya
Discovered is a venture founded by Enviu, which offers creative artisan entrepreneurs in emerging countries a platform to connect directly to global customers. By selling their handmade & unique products, they can grow their own businesses. We are a start-up based in The Hague, the Netherlands. We have a great team working from our office in The Hague.
You will be based in Nairobi Kenya, in the offices of our co-founder Enviu.
Discovered is looking for an entrepreneurial country manager who can build a network of local artisans and enable them to sell their products in Western markets via Discovered. We are looking for a country manager with wide experience working with artisans and/ or organisations working with artisans in?Kenya. It will be your responsibility to set up a hub-and-spoke model enabling hundreds of artisans to open their own shop and to sell their products through Discovered. The activities include meeting artisans all over Kenya and setting up your own local teams.
Are you up for this challenge?
What it means to be a Country Manager for Discovered
- Scouting artisans and organizations working with artisans pan-Kenya.
- Building key partnerships, with both large and small organizations, particularly those who work with artisans.
- Collaborating with partners, maintains the relationship and defines (commercial) actions when appropriate.
- Setting up the local organization & processes
- Hiring, training & guiding local scouts?who will be scouting for and training artisans.
- Planning and budgeting your team(s). Analysis and control of revenues, costs and margins of each of the local offices and the project as a whole.
- Building the Discovered culture in your team.
- Collaborating with the Netherlands office of Discovered.
- The job will include regular traveling within Kenya, to urban and rural areas.
You will be perfect for the role if you have…
- It is a must to have proven experience (or at least proven interest) in working with artisans and/or organisations working with artisans in Kenya, to identify, set up, and manage the supply of artisanal products;
- A track record of curating collections of high quality artisanal products; Expertise in finding and selecting high quality artisanals that can be sold in Western markets.
- A relevant network;
- Knowledge of variety and locations of artisanal hubs across Kenya;
- The right attitude to work with people with all kind of backgrounds, from small rural artisans and slum dwellers to investors or CEOs of large NGOs;
- Experience with online sales and having worked for a start-up or E-Commerce company is a bonus.
- Leadership skills to build the operations and team from scratch
- Led small teams of up to 10 people;
- Successful track record in multi-stakeholder project management;
- Experience in building partnerships with commercial partners (investors, corporate, NGO, Government);
- Excellent leadership and communication skillsPassion for social entrepreneurship;
- A hands-on, can-do approach; A Bachelor’s degree at a reputed institute;
- Passion for social entrepreneurship
Besides the network and expertise, the ideal candidate is a people manager, fluent in English, can work independently and has a good sense of humour.
What we offer…
- Competitive package with the opportunity to develop yourself in a truly unique and challenging international environment;
- A job with purpose and societal impact;
- The opportunity to build social enterprises;
- Working with a small group of talented, passionate and fun colleagues who share the ambition to change the world.
You will be stationed in the offices of our co-founder Enviu in Nairobi from the start.
How to apply
Do you have an open, engaged and strong personality with a drive for entrepreneurship and impact? Please send your resume and a motivation letter explaining your interest firstname.lastname@example.org? before 1st of February 2019.
We look forward to hearing from you!