Enviu is a venture building studio, building disruptive sustainable businesses in the Indian apparel sector. With support from Ikea Foundation, Enviu is piloting a future proof garment production house that will operate sustainable and fair. The starting point is accelerating the material revolution by turning recycled & regenerative materials (banana, hemp, jute, etc.) into high quality garments with timeless designs. We work in collaboration with Birdy Exports, a manufacturing house in Bangalore.
We are looking for a proactive garment designer + product manager who has extensive knowledge of a broad range of fabrics (including recycled & regenerative) and how to turn them into quality products that fit market needs. The designer- product manager should manage the innovation process for the pilot.
Job responsibilities include:
- Building a range of timeless garments and furnishing samples made of frontrunning sustainable fabrics
- Select a broad range of samples of high-quality sustainable fabrics produced in India – recycled (e.g. Khaloom) but also hemp (e.g. Hemp Fabric Lab), banana, jute, etc.
- Design, samples and produce small batches of high quality garments and furnishing using these sustainable fabrics
Market validation & sales
- Decide which customers to target, lead sales efforts and getting orders from target customers in India; Enviu Europe will lead sales efforts in Europe
- Interact with customers (brands/ designers) to understand their product needs and validate the prototypes of garments created
- Design & improve the products in accordance with target customers’ needs
- Coordinate sales & validation process with Enviu team; providing daily updates and flagging issues as appropriate
Coordinate production for (pilot) customers
- Co-create the designs with customers, guide them in the design process (what’s feasible based on the materials characteristics, looks, feel, etc.)
- Define standard operation procedures (SOPs) with the production manager from Birdy Exports
- Perform quality checks on the samples and garments created by Birdy Exports;
- Ensure smooth communication with customer and align operational process with Birdy Exports
Build supply chain/ supplier relations
- Scouting for best sources and acquiring raw materials
- Assessing sustainable & ethical performance of the suppliers
- Building relationships with suppliers;
- Thinking along with fabric producers, designing novel textiles out of sustainable yarns
Duration: Starting with a period of five, with potential to extend contract if sales are generated in India and/ or Europe. Starting August 2020.
Compensation: Market based, to be discussed
We are looking for someone with:
- Education at NIFT, NID or a similar institute;
- A great network in the Indian textile and fashion industry
- 3+ years of experience in designing and bringing them to production in medium- to large-scale manufacturing;
- Experience at textile mills or apparel retail brands (preferably in design / sales of new textiles/ products);
- Passion for and knowledge of sustainable textiles and their manufacturing techniques;
- Good communication skills in English and Hindi. Other Indian languages, particularly South-Indian, are a plus;
- Proactive,go-getter with excellent organizational and relationship management skills;
- Ability to work independently and follow a structured process;
- Willingness to travel as required (and when feasible again).
Please send your application before the deadline on the 15th July.