We believe in an inclusive economy that serves people and planet. We build ventures that address social and environmental issues hands-on, and drive market development. In order to achieve this, we’re teaming up with the “best of the best”.
We are looking for a full-time Venture Builder to join our East Africa team. The best Venture Builders are former entrepreneurs, early-stage start-up leaders or entrepreneurial consultants that have the ambition to work on social enterprises that contribute to system change. Are you up for this challenge?
Let us introduce ourselves a bit more.
Hi, we’re Enviu
- We are a serial entrepreneur
- We dream big: a future that seems impossible. We take action ourselves and invite others to create the impossible.’
- We are passionate about changing the world for the better and bring an impact-driven entrepreneurialattitude to do so.
- We build social ventures, starting from the issue that needs a solution.
- If we think we can do something on our own, we are not dreaming big enough: Together is more.
- We want to support you to discoverwhat you deeply want to do, what you are good at, and what gives meaning to your life.
- We build – measure – learn.
- We built 20+ social ventures since 2004.
- We work with ~35 great people in our offices in the Netherlands, India, Kenya and Indonesia.
About the Role
With our team in Nairobi we are running several projects in agriculture, circular economy and financial inclusion. For example, within our FoodFlow program, we are developing the key interventions to realize 0% post-harvest food loss. This has led to the start-up of SokoFresh (cold storage as a service), ideation of a market linkage service, and validation of a value-add processing service. In most cases, developing innovative business models through lean validation in pilots is key. We are looking for a Venture Builder with entrepreneurial experience to jointly develop our start-up projects into fully running enterprises.
- Work on 1 or 2 projects, interventions or ventures, developing the business concept, validating the business model and setting up the early operations.
- Be a product manager who is responsible for defining the “market – value proposition – product” triangle.
- Quickly prototype and test different business models or assumptions with the target group.
- Design business concepts for scalability and replicability, leveraging technological innovation.
- Perform in-depth primary and secondary research and root cause analysis into the issues we are targeting.
- Set up and structure new companies, including team, operations, financial and legal compliance, and so on.
- Plan and budget for your project(s).
- Analyse and control of revenues, costs and margins.
- Raise funds (both grants and equity). identify funders, financial modelling, prepare pitch deck, investor pitches, grant-writing and due diligence processes.
- Build key partnerships to accelerate our impact and financial results.
- Collaborate with the international team on strategy, finance, marketing, etc.
You’d be perfect for the role if you have:
- A proven track record of at least 8 years working experience, out of which at least three years as entrepreneur, co-founder of a start-up or part of the management team of a company, preferably as tech entrepreneur.
- The right attitude to work with people with all kind of backgrounds, from small farmers to investors or CEOs of multinationals.
- Led teams of 10+ people.
- Passion for social entrepreneurship.
- Empathy and are inquisitive.
- A hands-on, can-do approach.
- A Bachelor’s degree at a reputed institute.
- Successful track record in multi-stakeholder project management.
- Experience in building partnerships and fundraising with commercial and public partners (investors, corporate, NGO, Government).
- Excellent leadership and communication skills.
- Substantial experience with Lean Startup methodology.
- Experience working on software development and/or in a tech start-up is a plus.
- Experience in the fields of agritech, food logistics and the food value chain in Kenya is a plus.
Furthermore, the ideal candidate is a people manager, fluent in English, can work independently and has a good sense of humour. The job will be performed in Nairobi, Kenya and we are looking for candidates with a Kenyan descent.
What we can offer in return:
- Competitive package with the opportunity to develop yourself in a truly unique and challenging international environment.
- A great opportunity to develop yourself both personally and professionally.
- A job with purpose and societal impact.
- The opportunity to build social enterprises.
- Working with a small group of talented, passionate and fun colleagues who share the ambition to change the world.
How to apply
Do you have an open, engaged and strong personality with a drive for entrepreneurship and impact? Please send your resume and short note explaining your interest before 25th January 2021.