We believe in an inclusive economy that serves people and planet. We build ventures that address social and environmental issues hands-on, and drive market development. In order to achieve this, we’re teaming up with the “best of the best”.
We are looking for a full-time Venture Builder to join our East Africa team. The best Venture Builders are former entrepreneurs (or early-stage start-up leaders) that have the ambition to set up social enterprises that contribute to system change. Are you up for this challenge?
Let us introduce ourselves a bit more.
Hi, we’re Enviu
- We are a serial entrepreneur
- We dream big: a future that seems impossible. We take action ourselves and invite others to create the impossible.’
- We are passionate about changing the world for the better and bring an impact-driven entrepreneurial attitude to do so.
- We build social ventures, starting from the issue that needs a solution
- If we think we can do something on our own, we are not dreaming big enough: Together is more.
- We want to support you to discover what you deeply want to do, what you are good at, and what gives meaning to your life.
- We build – measure –learn
- We built 18 social ventures since 2004
- We work with ~35 great people in our offices in Rotterdam, Bangalore, Nairobi & Santiago de Chile.
- The EA team includes 4 people; 2 working from the Netherlands, 2 working in Nairobi
About the Role
Post-harvest losses in the fruits and vegetables chain are still enormous, impacting farmer income and food security in Kenya. Our ambition is to build a super professional value chain for fruits and vegetables in Kenya, reducing the losses in the chain to 0.
Within our ReChain program we are developing the key interventions to realize this: cold storage, aggregation, market linkage, and processing. In most cases, developing innovative business models through lean validation in pilots is key. We are looking for a venture builder with entrepreneurial experience who will develop our start-up projects into fully running enterprises at Enviu in Kenya, on a full-time basis.
- Work on 1 or 2 ventures, developing the business concept or in later stages work as a cofounder with the entrepreneur of the venture.
- Be the one challenging the entrepreneurial team to work as lean as possible. Build -Measure – Learn!
- Be a product manager who is responsible for defining the “market – value proposition – product” triangle
- Quickly prototype and test different business models or assumptions with the target group
- Perform in-depth primary and secondary research and root cause analysis into issues in food value chains
- Set up and structure new companies, including team, operational and accounting back-end, financial compliance, and so on.
- Plan and budget for your project(s)
- Analyse and control of revenues, costs and margin.
- Raise funds (both grants and equity); identify funders, financial modelling, prepare pitch deck, investor pitches and due diligence processes.
- Build out ReChain program, by identifying opportunities and building key partnerships
- Get the work of Enviu EA out there, on events, by building a network and sharing our work on the website
- Collaborate with the Dutch team. The job will include traveling to the Netherlands (once / twice a year).
You’d be perfect for the role if you have:
- A proven track record of at least 8 years working experience, out of which at least three years as entrepreneur, co-founder of a start-up or part of the management team of a company, preferably as social entrepreneur;
- Passion for and experience in the fields of agritech, food logistics and the food value chain in Kenya;
- Experience with working with smallholder farmers;
- A relevant network;
- The right attitude to work with people with all kind of backgrounds, from small farmers to investors or CEOs of multinationals;
- Led teams of 10+ people;
- Passion for social entrepreneurship;
- Empathy and are inquisitive;
- A hands-on, can-do approach;
- A Bachelor’s degree at a reputed institute;
- Successful track record in multi-stakeholder project management;
- Experience in building partnerships and fundraising with commercial partners (investors, corporate, NGO, Government);
- Excellent leadership and communication skills;
- Substantial experience with Lean Startup methodology;
Furthermore, the ideal candidate is a people manager, fluent in English, can work independently and has a good sense of humour. The job will be performed in Nairobi, Kenya and we are looking for candidates with a Kenyan descent.
What we can offer in return
- Competitive package with the opportunity to develop yourself in a truly unique and challenging international environment;
- A great opportunity to develop yourself both personally and professionally;
- A job with purpose and societal impact;
- The opportunity to build social enterprises;
- Working with a small group of talented, passionate and fun colleagues who share the ambition to change the world.
How to apply
Do you have an open, engaged and strong personality with a drive for entrepreneurship and impact? Click the link below to apply! The closing date is 25thof February 2020. We hope to hear from you soon!